Nomination of the Doctoral Committee for Qualifying Examinations for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology
This form is for the nomination of the dissertation committee. It must be approved and signed by the co-directors as well as both graduate division deans. The committee must be approved before a dissertation proposal can be defended. Committee signatures are not required on this form. Since the form requires the titles of the committee members, students must check with each one to be sure the listing is correct. Although the website may be checked, there is a good chance there have been promotions since this information was listed.
For Dissertation Committee Membership requirements and a list of UC San Diego faculty titles allowed to serve on committees, please refer to the Dissertation Committee webpage under the Student Handbook.
Steps to Complete the JDP-2 Form:
- Download and complete the JDP-2 Form – Fillable PDF then email it to both the UCSD Graduate Coordinator and SDSU Program Coordinator.
- Academic Titles – For SDSU Faculty, please make sure you enter the correct Academic Titles as listed on the SDSU Psychology Department website under Faculty: Alphabetical
- Academic Specialties – Please follow the guidelines listed below*
- The UCSD Graduate Coordinator will enter this information into the UCSD system and initiate the online approval process.
- The online form will automatically be routed to both co-Directors for electronic approval. Once they approve your form, it will be routed to the SDSU Dean and then to the UC San Diego Dean for final approval.
- You will receive an email notification from UC San Diego once your committee has been approved.
- At this point, you may schedule your dissertation proposal defense.
*Academic Specialty Requirement: At least two members of your committee must represent academic specialties that differ from your chosen specialty. Remember that faculty members could have more than one specialty and therefore may be different for each student depending on the dissertation. The academic specialties should represent the expertise each committee member brings to the table. Below is an example for your reference. You do not have to follow the example listed, just make sure the academic specialties are specific enough so that you meet the requirement of having at least two members who have specialties that differ from yours.
- Niloofar Afari: PTSD, Chronic Pain
- Joseph Price: Developmental Psychopathology
- Scott Roesch: Structural Equation Modeling, Stress and Coping
- Steven Thorp: PTSD
- Julie Wetherall: Chronic Pain, Anxiety
Last updated 8/11/2022