Application and timing 

Application deadlines vary by Semester of Summer School sessions. The winter semester deadline is July 1st, the Summer semester deadline is January 1st.  

As a general rule, you should start researching gathering information 6 – 9 months before you plan to go abroad.  REMEMBER: SDSU has its own set of application procedures that you MUST follow before applying directly to the University of Osnabrück. Contact Professor Kate Hattrup ( for more information. 

Please contact your advisor for an extension. All requirements must be fulfilled before going abroad or you may not receive academic credit upon return.


That depends. Studying abroad can be as inexpensive or as expensive as you make it. Factors to consider are program type, your status as an in-state or out-of-state student and the cost of living in the place where you will study. However, the single biggest factor is usually how much independent travel you do on weekends and breaks.

In general the cost of living in Osnabrück are very low compared to other cities and you can also try to get scholarships as well.

Here is an overview for you if you want to spend a semester abroad in Osnabrück:


Around € 650 per month is required for living in Osnabrück and for paying for the following necessities (all costs are estimates):

books, photocopying and study material:

between € 25 and € 50 (35$ – 70$ approx.) per month


about € 150 to € 260 (200$ – 350$ approx.) per month

Health insurance:

approx. € 78 (105$ approx.) per month


Inexpensive lunch (ca. € 2 – 3$ approx. daily) is available at the student cafeteria (Mensa) run by Student Services. In addition, between € 100 and € 150 (135$ – 200$ approx.) is required every month to prepare meals at home.

student contributions (social fee):

€ 316.51 for the summer semester 2015 (€ 241.51 -$275 approx for exchange students) including the semester ticket for public transport in Osnabrück and its surroundings. There are no tuition or administrative fees for exchange students.

Course Fee for the Summer School program

1,250,- EUR – $1,420 (approx. )

Many scholarships are available for study abroad participants. We encourage you to apply for as many as you are eligible.

Associated Students Study Abroad Scholarship (search for “All Majors” and “Undergrad”)

Division of Undergraduate Studies

Scholars Without Borders Scholarship

The California State University’s International Programs

Gilman International Scholarship Program (For students who receive a Federal Pell Grant)

Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants (For students with at least a 3.75 GPA)

Golden Key Study Abroad Scholarship

Fund for Education Abroad

Foundation for Global Scholars

Rotary International Grants

DAAD Scholarships

Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals

UAS7 Study and Internship Program

German Chancellor Scholarship

Credit and Academics

The introduction of the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) at Osnabrück University makes all courses and their contents transparent, enabling academic results to be transferred to other universities in Europe. At the end of your study period the credit points earned are entered into a transcript of records and can thus be counted towards your degree at your home university. Information about the ECTS Coordinators is available at the International Office.

You should. We work hard to make sure that taking part in one of our programs will not delay your graduation. With reasonable planning, any SDSU student can have a great international experience and still graduate on time.

Eligible Summer School applicants for the program on Intercultural Competencies: Advanced BA students, MA students and Ph.D. students of Psychology or a related subject that applies basic psychological concepts, e.g. Economic Sciences and Educational Sciences with a minimum age of 18 years.

No, speaking a foreign language is not a requirement to study at Osnabrück.

Yes, The Language Center offers German courses for international students which are free of charge.

Life Abroad 

You can study at Osnabrück for a Semester or for a Summer School session.

Please check the information provided under “Semester abroad- I want to apply- where can I live”. There are the different opportunities listed, such as living in the residence halls or in a private apartment. You’ll also find contact information there if you need any help finding a place to live.

For the Summer School program, the Coordination Office for Summer Schools will organize your accommodation for the time of your stay in Osnabrück. You will be either accommodated in one of Osnabrück’s student dorms or with a carefully selected homestay.

International students who do not come from the EU, or who come from one of the new EU countries (membership since 2007) can usually work up to 120 full or 240 half days a year without a work permit. If you wish to work longer than that you need a work permit.

Please visit the Address:

Bundesagentur für Arbeit

Johannistorwall 56

49080 Osnabrück

Tel: +49 1801 555111


Income tax card

Almost all student jobs require an income tax card (Bescheinigung für den Lohnsteuerabzug), which can be obtained from the Tax Office (Finanzamt).

Address: Finanzamt Osnabrück-Stadt

Süsterstraße 46/48

49074 Osnabrück

Tel: +49 541 354 0 

How can I find a job?

Besides advertisements in the university (Schwarzes Brett) and the local press you can try the job agency of the Bundesagentur für Arbeit.

Working as a student assistant

Positions to work as a student assistant at Osnabrück University are often available. You do not usually need a work permit for this kind of job, since it is usually assumed that the work is closely linked to your studies. Please note, however, that you do require an income tax card.

  • Will I need insurance while at Osnabrück?

All students studying in Germany require adequate health insurance. Proof of health insurance has to be presented when you enroll in the university (exception: PhD students, students who are over 30 years old).

If you have private health care coverage in your home country for your stay in Germany, you can only be exempted from taking out German statutory health insurance in very few cases.

All other students must obtain insurance coverage from the German statutory health insurance for students. This costs around € 78 per month.

For further information please contact one of the statutory health insurance companies, which you will find in the “Gelbe Seiten” (Yellow Pages). Information is also available from the International Office.

In case you would like to see a doctor in Germany, please note that there is no doctor or medical center at the university. Please contact a doctor close to your home (general practitioner: “Hausarzt”, “Internist”). You will find information about doctors (also specialists) in the Gelbe Seiten. Please always bring your health insurance card with you when seeing a doctor.

Furthermore, we strongly recommend taking out private accident and liability insurance for your stay in Germany. More information is available from the International Office.

  • What are the times for the different semesters? 

Academic Calendar

1st semester (winter semester): October, 1st – March, 31st
2nd semester (summer semester):  April, 1st – September, 30th

Lecture Period

Winter semester: middle of October until middle of February (approx.)
Summer semester: beginning of April until beginning of July (approx.)

Arrival days

Winter semester: beginning of October
Summer semester: beginning of April

Orientation and Welcome Week

Winter semester:  first week in October
Summer semester: first week in April


  • Where can I find more information on Osnabrück?
University’s website:
Website for Exchange Information